City of New Roads

New Roads, LA 70760

The first settlement in New Roads can be traced back to 1822. A six-block settlement was established at the terminus of a “new road” linking the False River & Mississippi River settlements.

New Roads’ success was guaranteed in 1847 when it was named governmental seat of Pointe Coupee Parish. At the turn of the century, New Roads became a resort community as seasonal tourists began making the pilgrimage to enjoy the tranquil waters of False River.